You Know Me Well by Nina LaCour & David Levithan | Book Review

Hey, guys! It's been a long time, I know! As I've mentioned a few times, I was travelling and then when I came back I was cat...

book review YA gay
Hey, guys! It's been a long time, I know! As I've mentioned a few times, I was travelling and then when I came back I was catching up on my sleep~ lol! I'll do a post all about that trip later but for now, here's the second book review on my blog!

If you guys remember, the last time I did a book review was on "Since You've Been Gone" by Morgan Matson which was also the last time I read a book. For some of you that might be insane and my past self would have definitely thought so too. But lately, I've gotten tired of YA books. They're all the same. I don't want to read a book that I've read before with different character names and a different cover, you know? So, when I found "You Know Me Well" in my bookstore, I was super excited to read it!

What makes it different you may ask? It's GAY! YAY! But here's the summary from Amazon so you know a bit more:

"Who knows you well? Your best friend? Your boyfriend or girlfriend? A stranger you meet on a crazy night? No one, really?
Mark and Kate have sat next to each other for an entire year, but have never spoken. For whatever reason, their paths outside of class have never crossed.
That is until Kate spots Mark miles away from home, out in the city for a wild, unexpected night. Kate is lost, having just run away from a chance to finally meet the girl she has been in love with from afar. Mark, meanwhile, is in love with his best friend Ryan, who may or may not feel the same way.
When Kate and Mark meet up, little do they know how important they will become to each other -- and how, in a very short time, they will know each other better than any of the people who are supposed to know them more.
A book told in alternating points of view by Nina LaCour, the award-winning author of Hold Still and The Disenchantments, and David Levithan, the best-selling author of Every Day and co-author of Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (with Rachel Cohn) and Will Grayson, Will Grayson (with John Green), You Know Me Well is a deeply honest story about navigating the joys and heartaches of first love, one truth at a time."
gay teen YA book review
It's all about friendship, unrequited love, creativity, being free and not afraid to be who you are. It's a really nice light but truthful novel about the struggles of being gay and young. What I love even more about this book is that it's a happy gay story. There's no lesbian deaths, no homphobic slurs, none of that. It's such a feel-good read no matter your sexuality. I also love that it's about a boy and girl but they're bestfriends and they're both gay, so you get a bit of everything. To say that I loved this book is such an understatement.

It's so well written as well! I fell in love with so many beautiful quotes that I wanted to write in my walls and wear them on my skin proudly. That's how beautiful some of these words were.

If you're gay, read this book. If you're trans, read this book. If you're bi, read this book. If you're straight, read this book. If you're queer, read this book. It doesn't matter, read this book. I wish I could forget all about it so I could experience it all over again.

This one definitely gets the perfect rating. This made me want to go out and read more LGBT+ stories! There's nothing like reading a story you can finally identify with.

What do you think? Have I made you want to pick it up? Is there any other book you recommend? Leave it in the comments below~ Don't forget to follow me on bloglovin' so you never miss a post and check out my videos over at my youtube channel! I'll see you soon, babes~

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This is the book I need to read! I have just started to be okay with the gay community and reading this book will help me understand it better! Thank you for the review, Merzy!

    Reet Lonari

    ReplyDelete